At Holden & Partners, in additional to our ethical and sustainable approach to investments, we are also committed to minimising the impact of our business on the environment and aim to engage in positive green activities that have a lasting benefit on society.
Holden & Partners are proud to be a B Corp company.
Here you can access our first annual B Corp report where we outline our progress over the last 12 months on this important journey.
- We actively support two charities: Trees for Cities and Richard House Children’s Hospice.
- Fund raising initiatives are encouraged and supported. Six members of staff took part in the London Triathlon in 2019 to raise money for Richard House Children’s Hospice.
- We encourage staff to take part in two volunteering days per year.
Promotion of environmental and social investment to clients
- A key feature of our ethical and sustainable investment philosophy is the identification of a set of global themes, typically environmental or social in nature, which are driving change, and investment in the assets, sectors and businesses that are best placed to capitalise upon them. This is often called ‘thematic investment’.
- By identifying these trends, we invest in areas that present opportunities for structural growth yet mitigate risk by avoiding the threats that these trends pose. We believe that this should lead to superior financial returns over the long-term.
- The environmental and social themes behind most thematic investment funds include population growth, rising wealth in the developing world, natural resource and energy scarcity, and climate change. These themes have resulted in investment by governments and institutions in the resource efficiency, clean energy, water, waste management and healthcare industries, to name a few, opening-up an abundance of opportunities for private investors who want to invest in sustainable investments.
- At Holden & Partners, we utilise a comprehensive and detailed ethical and sustainable questionnaire which is designed to establish each clients’ preferred ESG investment style, alongside any specific areas that a client wishes to avoid or emphasise within their portfolio.
- Within this process, our in-house investment managers and team carefully select ethical funds which we believe will deliver sustainable returns in a manner which will not supersede the values, or financial goals, of our clients. Environmental and social factors are a key consideration in this process, as they have the potential to be financially material, and their impact should be highlighted to clients.
- Not only can this green approach to investments reap significant social and financial rewards, the diversification benefits of analysing opportunities according to their sustainable characteristics are dramatic and can considerably reduce investment risk.
External promotions that benefit the environment and society
- Since the inception of Holden & Partners, our clients have supported a variety of renewable energy projects from early stage wind farm developments through to solar parks, hydro power schemes, and tidal power technologies, as well as several social investment tax relief (SITR) schemes throughout the UK.
- Holden & Partners have sponsored Good Money Week; an event organised by the UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Association, which is an organisation that raises awareness of sustainable, responsible and ethical finance options.
- We also sponsor the Proms at St Jude’s; a community festival of music and culture that raises funds for disadvantaged young people.
- We are members of the UK Sustainable Investment and Finance Association (UKSIF) which promotes responsible investment and other forms of finance that support sustainable economic development, enhance quality of life and safeguard the environment.
- We are also members of the Green Alliance; a UK think tank that aims to make the environment a central political issue for policy makers.
Our London office
- We source all our energy for our office from the renewable energy supplier, Good Energy.
- We actively promote recycling both internally and with our suppliers.
- We encourage use of iPads in client meetings to reduce the need for paper print outs and all staff are encouraged to ‘think-before-you-print’.
- Where possible, recommendation letters to our clients are sent via email.
- We actively try to reduce the amount of paper used and all correspondence and files are electronically saved and backed-up in secure systems.
- Computers and monitors are switched off during out of office hours.
- Fairtrade products are purchased where possible.
- We actively encourage our employees not to travel by road and currently all staff travel by bicycle or public transport to work.
- We offer employees the ability to buy bicycles and equipment using the cycle to work scheme.
- Our staff have the option of investing in ethical, sustainable, and thematic funds through the staff pension scheme.
- Employees have the option to Give-As-You-Earn (GAYE). Holden & Partners will match any contribution up to £25 per month.
- We receive a fruit basket twice a week to help encourage healthy eating within the office.